10.02.2012

eye gee free



For some reason I've been really into testing out little life changes lately. Gluten free... the 365-day project... welp, Sunday night I decided to add on another one. This week, for one whole week, I'm going Instagram free. You heard right, kids. The girl who instagrams every four minutes is going a whole week without it. Why? I don't know. Social media is a huge part of my life, and sometimes I wonder what life would be like without it. It would be a lot simpler, that's for sure.

I actually love Instagram. I think it's a great way to connect with people, to document every day life, and to be inspired. The only problem I have with it is that I find myself on it more often than I'd like. I find myself mindlessly swiping my thumb across that little screen every time a notification pops up. And those are the times that I don't gain anything positive. Those are the times that I'm not connecting with anyone, I'm not documenting anything, and I'm not drawing inspiration from anything. I'm simply going through the motions just because a little icon lit up on my phone. Why do I need to see that someone liked one of my photos? I don't need to see it. So I'm not going to.

There have been a couple times where I felt the instant reflex to Instagram in the past few days. To be honest, it's happened much less than I would have expected it to. But when those times occurred, I resisted and then reflected. I thought "Why do I want to document this?" "Am I trying to brag? Make someone laugh? Remember this moment?" Whatever the answer was, I realized that it wasn't a dire need for me to take a photo. I realized that I didn't feel any emptier inside without hitting that share button, and that makes me so happy. It means that when this week is through, I can go back to my Instagramming ways -- or not -- with no worry, because I don't feel as attached to the intangible app as I thought I did.

If and when I do go back to it, though, I'm shutting off those darn notifications.

4 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence. Last night I went to the movies with my boyfriend and as soon as the movie got out, I was checking my instagram to see what photo's I posted were "liked". He started poking fun at me, and my addiction to instagram and I tried to convince him (ahem, myself) that I only use instagram for "business" purposes. The conversation ended with me yelling out "I love the ego stroke, ok?!?!". I'm a monster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so true, but not just of instagram a lot of social media pages.
    I love that you've brought this up.
    Cute drawing btw!

    ReplyDelete

Share your pretty little thoughts with the world!