8.29.2012

one year later



It's been exactly one year since I returned from the most amazing trip of my life. Last May I won the incredible opportunity to travel to 17 countries in 3 and a half months with my buddy Dutch Simpson. Well, he didn't become my buddy until we met in Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris. Now he's my brother for life, man.

We both happened to enter the 2011 World Traveler Internship from STA Travel. And we both happened to win. I couldn't have had a better partner.

I can't even begin to explain what this trip was like. It was crazy. It was so long. It was so short. It was tiring. It was fun. It was cool. It was beautiful. It was food. It was hostels. It was hotels, cabins, and beautiful old buildings. It was buses, trains and planes. It was waterfalls and beer. It was snowy mountains and blazing hot beaches. It was 14 different languages. It was hundreds of new faces. It was white water rafting. It was bikes and pools and public transportation. It was maps and cell phones that had no minutes. It was getting lost for hours and calling the police. It was language barriers times a million. It was being drunk. It was being sober. It was swimming and hiking and riding on elephants. It was getting locked out. It was rock climbing. It was hysterically laughing every moment of the day. It was taking showers and it was not taking showers. It was not having internet. It was paying for internet. I'm pretty sure it was Michael Cera. It was paying for bathrooms. It was new people and new people and new people. It was singing and dancing and 2 familiar faces in an unfamiliar country. It was losing my lens cap. It was perfect landscapes. It was too many tourists. It was being a tourist. It was taking photos. It was shooting video. Editing video. Sorting through the worst royalty-free music in existence. It was Picadilly Circus. It was Theo Smith. It was Olive. It was CHINA. It was bing pigeo and squat toilets. It was getting stuck in the mud. It was raining hard. It was eating bugs. It was playing with babies. It was being on boats. It was one stupid fight. It was pretending to be people we weren't. It was being exactly who we were. It was spending money and saving money and collecting the most beautiful colorful money. It was keeping a journal and losing a journal. It was panda bears and bottled water. It was video chatting. It was tour guides who lied about everything. It was tuk-tuks. It was pointing our feet where they shouldn't have been pointed. It was heavy backpacks. It was learning new words. It was forgetting them the next day. It was not knowing what city we were in and probably not even caring. It was freaking awesome.

8 comments :

  1. WOW.

    I don't know what else I can say - I am in awe of your INSANELY awesome trip. I would love to do that! I visited Australia and New Zealand 6 years ago, it feels like so long ago now, I have the travelling bug again

    Just discovered your blog and I'm hooked. Congrats on getting your job at Free People (I've been reading back over your archives!) - I would love to work for them!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to catch that darn travel bug but sometimes so hard to actually get up and go! It would be nice if everything in life was free and we had all the time in the world.. :)

      Thanks so much for your congrats -- the job has been a dream come true for me :) You should apply for a job with the company!!

      Delete
  2. Dang. What an adventure! You're feeding my wanderlust so much. After I graduated I spent 2 years in Europe, mostly Italy, up until last December. I FINALLY get to go back in a month and a half and I can't wait. I can't wait for all those little bits you described. I can't wait to feel so lost and so at home again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait, wut? you won that shit? JEALOUS. That video is sickkkkk. Miss you hummusbird <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the creative process for your videos? They always turn out so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally!! To be honest I never really have a plan. I just shoot a bunch of video whenever I want to capture something beautiful or fun, then I pick a song that I think evokes a particular mood, and then cut the footage up to the beat of the song. I always play around with the order that the clips go in -- then I go with whichever sequence feels the smoothest, most natural, and most exciting. :)

      Delete

Share your pretty little thoughts with the world!